Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Hair

There has been tons of focus on my hair, which makes me a little crazy.  But, its starting to pay off and life is getting better.  It use to be that when I saw that comb and lotion coming at me in the morning, I would cry, "no, No, NO!"  When we were in Tanzania Mommy used pink lotion and coconut oil on my hair and then just went for it with the comb.  ugh!

Now that we are back in the States though, there are ALL kinds of hair care products made just for my kind of hair.  Akira calls my hair soft as a baby lambs.  This comes from a book he reads at night with Mommy about all the different kinds of people in the world.  It talks about different kinds of hair, some people have hair like my Mommy's which flows like the river water and other people have hair like Akira and mine, which is soft as a baby lamb's curls.  But, my hair sure needs special attention so it can stay healthy and shiny, not dry and breakable. 

Mommy has found  routine and products that seem to work.  In the evening before bed, Mommy sprays both Akira and my head with three sprays from a spraybottle which has a mixture of olive oil and water in it.  Then, she gently massages it into our scalps and then combs through our hair just  bit to get the tangles closest to our scalps out.  She only washes our hair twice a week so she doesn't dry it out with shampoos.  On days when it's not washed with shampoo, we just get it wet in the bathtub.  When we get out of the bathtub, I get a special  leave in conditioner sprayed in every day.  It's from a product called Carole's Daughter.  They have all kinds of natural hair products for both adults and kids that have curly hair like mine.  It's called Black Vanilla leave in conditioner.  It smells sooo yummy and I smell good all day now. Plus it really is helping Mommy to comb through my hair without it hurting so much.  After the leave in conditoner Mommy also applies a dollop of hair milk, also from Carole's Daughter, which helps my hair to have shine and takes away the frizzy's which give my hair such terrible tangles.  Then, she combs my hair gently, slowly slowly working all the tangles out without causing any breakage (at least she tries).  What makes it a lot better though, is Akira's ellela, which he so nicely lets me squeeze and cuddle with in the morning while Mommy combs through my curls.  Sometimes I try to do Ellela's hair too.  Also, we watch Sesame Street sing along while we comb and Akira and I can sing along with Oscar the Grouch, cookie monster, Elmo and all those crazy puppets. This is a great distraction. 

Two more tips that she hasn't tried yet, but which are on her to-do list.  1) silk pillow case to sleep on because the cotton rubbing against my hair at night is damaging to it and 2) a deep conditioner to use once a week on a shampoo day (still trying some out and deciding which one is best....though, I bet she'll go with the Carole's Daugher line again.....she likes it because it's all natural and it's important to not put chemicals in my hair when I'm little which could really be damaging to my hair and even my whole body). 



Thanks for loving my baby lambs curls and taking good care of them, Mommy.  It's a tough job, but quite frankly, I think my Mommy is pretty privileged to have the job! 

http://www.carolsdaughter.com/category/kids.do

1 comment:

  1. Clara Shei, you are such a beauty! Your mom is doing an excellent job ;)

    ReplyDelete