Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Another day at the Doctor


I am only 5 1/2 months old, but I have spent a LOT of my little life at the Doctor. When I was first born, I tested positive for HIV. That was a very stressful event in my little life. Then, soon after that I got malaria and a REALLY bad case of it, spent days in the hospitals with my head shaved and IVs sticking out of it. I was not responding to the medicine and everyone was getting a bit worried that they were going to loose me. Then, right after that, I had oral thrush! Geeze, you would think that the universe would give me a break. But no, I flew to Dar to have a more precise HIV test, during which time the doctor there was concerned that I had symptoms for TB and should be tested. Amazingly enough, I tested negative for HIV! Everyone was so amazed and excited....especially my new Mommy who had spent weeks agonizing over what to do about my HIV status. Fast Forward to two months later....I have never been 100% well, but I am finally home with my family and so the very first order of business for my Mommy was to get me to a doctor to find out why my weight is so so low (I weigh 4.3 kilos or about 9 pounds which is VERY VERY low for a five and a half month old), and to find out why I don't keep any food down. There is only one pediatrician in town, but he ran a lot of tests today and got me on some medicine to keep me hydrated while they look into what is going on with my little body! I have to go back on Friday....but at least my brother will also have a doctor appointment that day (he has to get vaccination shots....hahaha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment