Friday, May 15, 2009

It's time to tell my story


We've been so busy just trying to adjust and get me up to speed that there hasn't been time for much else. Finally though....and before it's forgotten, I need to tell you MY STORY!


I was born on 21 November 2008. Within the week my birthmom died. She was sick from HIV/AIDS. My Dad didn't know what to do with me, so he left me at the hospital (Mt. Meru hospital in Arusha) and finally, on 21 January they brought me to Cradle of Love Baby home in USA River, Tanzania. I was tested for HIV and tested positive. I was quite little and sickly and no one was holding out much hope for me. on 5 February I was admitted to the hospital again with a terrible case of malaria. I was in the hospital for days, as I was not responding to the medicine. They shaved my head and put IVs in it....it was not a fun time in my life. Miraculously I finally started responding after 3 days and slowly returned to good health. After 5 days I was able to return to the orphanage. Batilda, the nurse was very faithful and stayed with me all the time. By this time, I was ready to meet my forever Mommy. She had already adopted by big brother Akira from Cradle of Love and they often visited the orphanage. Mommy fell right in love with me....but was trying hard not to since I was so sick. Mommy started coming to visit me pretty regularly at the orphanage and kept hoping that I would get better soon.


Then, I went on my first plane ride! A volunteer from Cradle of Love took me to Dar es Salaam to get a more precise HIV test done on me. When you are tested right after your birth and your Mom is HIV, it can happen that you also test positive because your Mom's antibodies are still in you. If you do test positive, you have a 50% chance of actually having the virus and you need to get a different, more precise test done to confirm the results (the DNA/PCR test). So...off I went to get the test. While I was there I also got oral thrush! So, I was in the hospital in Dar...and on top of that, I was very ill and the doctor there listened to my chest and said he thought it likely that I also had TB and should also be tested for that. With all the sickly signs, both Mommy and the people at Cradle of Love thought there was a really good chance that I was, indeed, HIV +.


Then, the day came...February 23rd, 09.....the test results came back. Mommy heard the phone ring and picked it up...knowing that she was going to hear the news...and then they told her, "She tested negative". Oh my heavens! Music to everyones ears!!! I now had a chance at a life!


When I was born, my Mommy was so so sick, she just couldn't pass any immunities on to me...she had none to give. So, this is why I am more susceptible to illnesses in my first year. But, without HIV, my chances are much greater. The truth is, that for most babies in Africa born with HIV, they simply do not make it past their first year. Their immune systems are simply too compromised and the probability of catching malaria, pneumonia or some other disease are too great.


So, now that my status was cleared, the next step was to get in touch with my birth Father. His name is Davey and he is a very nice man. But, he is very often away, much older (in his 60s) and HIV positive. He did not want to raise me even though he loves me because he said he is thinking 10 years down the line and realizing that even if he is still here, he would have a very hard time providing for me. In TNZ, there is no social security or retirement plans....once you cannot work and support yourself anymore, you must hope that a relative will take you in. It is very unlikely that a relative would take in an elderly sick man with a young child. The reality here is harsh.


However, another aspect of TNZ culture is community. And, a big decision such as who might be allowed to adopt a child MUST be made by the entire extended family. SO....a big meeting on my behalf was scheduled for 14 April. My birth father traveled to Dodoma, where much of my extended family resides and they discussed my future. Upon my father's return to Arusha on 1 May, he informed by forever Mother that the family had agreed to her adopting me! Mommy found a lawyer to witness the paperwork, and on 5 May (cinco de Mayo), I was relinquished into my Mommy's care. I came home with her from Cradle of Love that night.


Mommy and my birth Dad still think it's important for me to know my birth family. I'm so happy about that....I want to know them. Besides my Daddy I have aunts and uncles and cousins, plus 3 grown up siblings. They are all a LOT older than me...but they are still my siblings and I want to know them!


So, that's my story, in short of how I came to live with my forever family, Mommy and Akira and our dog Twiga! (Uncle Gogo is also living with us right now). I am so lucky to be loved by SO MANY PEOPLE!!!


PS - just in case anyone is wondering what my Mommy is thinking....she assures Akira and I that we won't be having any more siblings...this is it! I'm ok with that....I love Akira, he's the coolest big brother ever. And, just the right age....14 months older than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment